Several months ago, Cooperation DC laid out their vision for 2017. And I am just posting this vision now. Their vision is:
…to establish an ecosystem to launch and support worker-owned businesses in DC in the following ways:
- Launch NW Childcare Cooperative: In 2017, we will launch a childcare women-owned business consisting of 15 Latina immigrant worker-owners. A grant award provided by the Meyer Foundation will enable the formulation of the business plan and launch.
- Organize an African American Women-led Childcare cooperative East of the River: The efforts and lessons learned while organizing the NW childcare cooperative in 2016 will serve as the foundation to create the support and infrastructure needed to identify and develop the women that will form the worker-owned childcare cooperative business East of the River.
- DSLBD Cooperative Convenings: Participating in stakeholder meetings will prove instrumental to creating a cooperative ecosystem by sharing current needs, mapping the current coop infrastructure, setting priorities, and addressing long-term and short-term needs.
- Issuing the first Working World Peer Network loan to a DC local cooperative: we will build local and regional capacity through our participation in the Working World Peer Network.
- Fundraising: In order to realize these goals we will need to fund raise $300,000 in calendar year 2017. If you’d like to support the (re)emerging cooperative movement in DC, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. No amount is too big or too small!